Monday, March 26, 2012

A Family Tree 40 years in the making


I saw this idea on  Pinterest.  It was originally a way for guests to sign in at a wedding, but I thought it would be a great gift for my in-laws 40th Anniversary.

The tree is looking pretty bare.  Since we live all over the country, We just added our thumb prints.  I mailed the ink pad with the canvas, so other family members could add their thumb leaves when they go and visit.

I bought a "gallery canvas"  instead of the normal one to make it a little more special.  It worked best to stack a few books under the canvas before painting and adding our thumbs. I free handed the tree and used my Cricut and contact paper to make the stencil for the letters.  
And yes my father-in-law's name is Elmo.  My husband should have been Elmo III, and I'm grateful his parents decided that was a family tradition laid to rest.
My parents just celebrated their 40th a few months ago and this is what I made them (read about it here)




I guess I have another 10 years to think up something fun for their 50th!


To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. thanks for linking up to Make it Monday! I've shared your link on the Brassy Apple Fb and twitter pages! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a neat idea! I love thumbprint signings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thumbprints are just too cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What a great idea! I'm thinking it would be cute for my mom for a Mother's Day gift. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. It is so sweet. I'd love it if you'd share this at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-4.html. I'll add my link party to your list of parties as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea for a anniversary gift! Kind of neat for them to watch the leaves be put on as family member visit - kind of a visual testimony for them.
    ~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really great idea and a perfect anniversary present. Visiting from Souther Lovely's Show and Share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good idea! I'm keeping this in mind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful idea! I attended a wedding where the thumbprint tree was used for the guestbook and loved it, but this is an awesome anniversary idea!

    citystitchin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you shared this at Whimsy Wednesdays. I love it! Stop by tonight for a bloglovin blog hop. If you're unfamiliar with bloglovin you can read all about it at www.thenynmelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-heart-bloglovin.html.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the thumbprints, pretty creative. What an awesome anniversary idea/gift. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such precious keepsakes! i bet they will be treasured for generations to come. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful idea!! I know they will adore it! thank you for sharing at Uncommon!

    Bonnie @ uncommon

    ReplyDelete
  14. love love LOVE this family tree! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's! We're doing a link party on the blog for the Pinterest Challenge, this would be perfect for it (and we have prizes, a winner and features)

    ReplyDelete