Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cherry Blossoms

I was going to wait to post this until tomorrow, but It turned out really cute and I don't want to clean my house or exercise.

One of my favorite things about living in DC was the Cherry Blossoms.  It was even worth having to deal w/ all the extra tourists, just to bask in their beauty.  I also lived in Korea when I was little, and I remember driving through forests of them w/ my parents.  So Cherry Blossoms just make me happy. 

I've wanted to do this project for weeks.

My mom had an entire shelf in her garage of the cheap vases that flowers come in.  Several blogs have posted about spray painting the inside of vases to make them look like milk glass. If anyone did a tutorial, leave a comment and I'll link back to it.  The quick directions:  Wrap the outside of the glass in a few plastic bags.  Use masking tape to seal it shut at the top.  Spray the paint inside. I gave mine a couple of coats.

 Then  I cut out a bunch of flower shapes out of tissue paper. I used my Cricut 1.0 (scissors).  I hot glued them on a branch.  On top of each flower, I hot-glued a glass bead.





I'm in love!
Grand total for my lovely tree= $1 ( for the beads- a guess you could add in another quarter for the spray paint and a few cents for the paper).
Check out my other holiday decor.
Linking up here.
Visit thecsiproject.com

10 comments:

  1. This is cute! I like the transparent kind of look the tissue paper gives! I made something similar recently, but used paint chips instead of tissue paper! Check it out here http://copy-cat-crafter.blogspot.com/2011/03/bloom.html, and feel free to follow along at my blog to see what I've got coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it.
    Wish you could come decorate my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cherry blossoms in DC were so beautiful. I love your pretty mantel craft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Love how you recreated the look of cherry blossoms, especially since they have special meaning for you.
    I have a Cricut 1.0 too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Thanks for creating such an inspirational place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cherry blossoms...and this is so pretty!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip about wrapping the outside of the vases!

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday...hope to see more of your work this upcoming week!

    p.s. I adore cherry blossoms as well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so lovely! The cherry blossoms on our trees are just starting to open and they help lift our spirits during this rainy season. Thanks for sharing this with us at Sister Saturday! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete